Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Newbie] Bacula and webserver

2011-02-20 08:54:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Newbie] Bacula and webserver
From: Randy Katz <rkatz AT simplicityhosting DOT com>
To: Manolo Padron Martinez <manolopm AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2011 05:52:01 -0800
On 2/20/2011 5:26 AM, Manolo Padron Martinez wrote:
> Hi:
>
> I would like to know what its the better way to make a copy from an
> apache+mysql+php webserver.
>
> I've been thinking about it and probably the best solution its to stop
> al services before to make the copy, but I'm looking for a way to do
> it without stop the service. Any idea?
>
> Regards from Canary Islands

Hello Canary!

The best way to do it is to dump the mysql database periodically (I do
it nightly) and
let the scheduled backups pick up the dump (put it in a directory that
gets backed up).
This way you don't need to interrupt anything and the database is
portable to different
versions should you need to restore from a crashed system (and the
current version is
upgraded). I also do this with the bacula database on the Director even
though it gets
backed up by bacula, like this:

30 0 * * * /usr/bin/mysqldump bacula >
/usr/src/scripts/bacula.dump.mysql > /dev/null 2>&1

Of course you need to add the appropriate entries in ~/.my.cnf, mine
looks like this:

# more .my.cnf
[client]
user = root