Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Replacing WSB with Bacula - need help with hardware requirements

2011-02-17 06:19:54
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Replacing WSB with Bacula - need help with hardware requirements
From: Fabio Almeida <mentesan AT gmail DOT com>
To: Vancho Gjeorgjievski <vancho AT vb.net DOT au>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2011 09:17:37 -0200
Hi Vancho,

Here we have this hardware:
- Intel Xeon 1.6 QuadCore
- 4GB RAM
- Ubuntu (we have used FreeBSD too...)
- 1TB for spool
- TL2000 Tape library

We are currently backing up around 40 servers (Windows, Linux, *BSD*),
with 10 max concurrent jobs, our FULL backup is around 5TB, which runs
on weekends and for week days we run differential backups.

Our Bacula server runs smoothly, never using it's full resources, so
maybe you can go with a less powerfull hardware, specially if you can
setup the database on a different server, speaking of databases I
recommend Postgres over MySQL, because as the tables grow with data,
Postgres has proven to be faster and requires less maintenance work.

That's it, hope this can help :)
Fabio Almeida