Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] setting up a disk based backup system.

2011-02-02 11:32:48
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] setting up a disk based backup system.
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Joseph Spenner <joseph85750 AT yahoo DOT com>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 11:30:15 -0500
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Joseph Spenner <joseph85750 AT yahoo DOT com>
wrote:
> [...]

I believe it simplifies the setup. Each drive can be mounted
automatically using autofs. vchanger has autofs support so you can put
any number of your disks in and issue update slots and it will find
the disks mount them and inform bacula which volumes are available.
Remember that each physical disk is a virtual autochanger magazine
containing a user specified # of bacula volumes. I use fixed sized
volumes in this case. I do not believe this works well with people
that have max jobs or use volume once settings in their pool since
there is a fixed number of volumes in each magazine. Like a tape
autochanger it will not get around bacula wanting a volume that is not
loaded in the virtual changer so you must handle that.

Also for your case there is not a clean way to convert from existing
volumes to virtual magizine volumes. I guess you can use copy jobs or
something like that but if you have a working setup I would just go
with that.

BTW, I am using this at home where I only backup a few 100 GB. At work
I am using primarily LTO2 tapes (105 of them now) and a 2 drive tape
autochanger.
John