Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] setting up a disk based backup system.

2011-02-02 10:36:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] setting up a disk based backup system.
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Kenneth Johansson <kenneth AT southpole DOT se>
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 10:34:27 -0500
On Wed, Feb 2, 2011 at 10:18 AM, Kenneth Johansson <kenneth AT southpole DOT
se> wrote:
> On Fri, 2011-01-28 at 12:06 +0100, J. Echter wrote:
>> Am 27.01.2011 15:40, schrieb Kenneth Johansson:
>> > Is there any way to have a sane setup with disks ?? anyone ??
>
>> you could add a pool for every disk and tell bacula which pool it has to
>> use on each day. You can tell bacula which pool to use via schedule for
>> example.
>
> hmm yes but still it's not very efficient use of disk space. I'm going
> to solve my problem by using lvm and doing a raid0 of all the disks. I
> do have a rather low upper limit of storage usage that will mean I will
> only have a handfull of disks anyway.
>
> But I do think there is something missing in bacula to handle backing up
> to disk with more than one disk.
>
> I guess it's possible to get the autoloader script to work in some way
> but it's not entirely clear to me how to do it.

You are using raid 0 and LVM for your bacula store? I would never ever
do that. I even caution about using a single raid 5/6 for that. How
about individual disks and the bacula virtual disk changer. Make each
physical disk a virtual magazine.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/vchanger/

John