Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Several questions about the feasibility of restores

2011-02-01 15:41:36
Subject: [Bacula-users] Several questions about the feasibility of restores
From: ninintothevoid <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2011 10:22:11 -0500
We currently are implementing Bacula 3.0.3a as our backup system on a mix of
Windows XP and RHEL 4.8 machines.  We used a altlinux based distribution called
Bran that offers a decent web interface for reporting and initiating backups.
So far we haven't had any significant outages that would require any major
restores( we have done a few test exercises restoring a file).  My concern
going forward is how we would handle restores.  Our current procedure consists
of restoring from an old Acronis image backup with the bacula client installed,
and running a restore from the server.  We would like to get away from that and
develop a boot cd with partition information and mbr for each system.  Has
anyone had any success with creating a boot cd with this information?  Where
would you suggest we start to develop this system?

The  other concern I have for restores is in situations where we are attempting
to rollback from a patch or kernel update.  Bacula will replace files on a
system, but it will not delete files that were added after the backup.  Is
there anyway to remove any files newer than the date of the backup?

Thanks for the help.