Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] comparison network traffic amanada - bacula @restore

2011-01-20 13:55:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] comparison network traffic amanada - bacula @restore
From: Chris Hoogendyk <hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 13:39:24 -0500
On 1/19/11 8:31 PM, Mike Ruskai wrote:
> On 1/19/2011 7:47 PM, Juergen Zahrer wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> amanda passes the whole archive to the client even if only a few files
>> are restored. that takes a very very long time for
>> one small file in a big dump over 100 Mb.
>> what about bacula? does bacula "unpack and extract" the requested file
>> on a local _fast_ disk and transfer that file over
>> network?
>>
>> any explanation would be appreciated:)
> I never used Amanda, on account of the fact that when I looked into it a
> while back, it was incapable of either spanning backups across multiple
> tapes, or storing more than one backup job on any given tape (i.e.
> inflexible to the point of being useless).

I try to stay quiet on this list with regard to Amanda. After all, this is the
Bacula list. However,
sometimes it is appropriate to speak up.

Amanda uses native tools such as gnu tar (the typical choice on Linux) and/or
ufsdump or zfs
send/receive (on Solaris). How a file is extracted depends on what the
individual tool is capable of.

However, you *can* do the extraction on the Amanda backup server and transfer
only the recovered
file(s) across the network to the client.

The comment, "when I looked into it a while back", would have to have been
several years ago, since
tape spanning was implemented at least by version 2.5 (2006). There has been an
enormous amount of
development activity on Amanda in the intervening years. Anyone who hasn't
looked at it since before
2.5 should at least be aware that specific comments are probably outdated. The
latest stable release
is 3.2.1 and there have been many intervening major and minor releases in
between (see "select your
version" here http://www.zmanda.com/download-amanda.php).

The question of appending to tapes is a philosophical question addressed here:
http://wiki.zmanda.com/index.php/FAQ:Why_does_Amanda_not_append_to_a_tape%3F
(It's fair to differ
from that point of view).

Many people have good reason to like Bacula, and there has also been a huge
amount of development
activity on Bacula over that same span of time. It's good for the community
that we have both. I
just think it's important to have a balanced and informed perspective.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-
    O__  ---- Systems Administrator
   c/ /'_ --- Biology&  Geology Departments
  (*) \(*) -- 140 Morrill Science Center

<hoogendyk AT bio.umass DOT edu>

Erdös 4