Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] comparison network traffic amanada - bacula @restore

2011-01-19 20:34:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] comparison network traffic amanada - bacula @restore
From: Mike Ruskai <thannyd AT earthlink DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:31:47 -0500
On 1/19/2011 7:47 PM, Juergen Zahrer wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> amanda passes the whole archive to the client even if only a few files
> are restored. that takes a very very long time for
> one small file in a big dump over 100 Mb.
> what about bacula? does bacula "unpack and extract" the requested file
> on a local _fast_ disk and transfer that file over
> network?
>
> any explanation would be appreciated:)

I never used Amanda, on account of the fact that when I looked into it a
while back, it was incapable of either spanning backups across multiple
tapes, or storing more than one backup job on any given tape (i.e.
inflexible to the point of being useless).

Bacula has a pretty efficient tape backup design, and its method of
backing up to disk is essentially the same, with files taking the place
of tapes.  Backed up files are stored individually in the volume,
whether compressed or not.  Restoring them likewise involves seeking to
and reading individual backed-up files.  When using software
compression, the client does the compression work.  I don't know off
hand who does the decompression work on restore, but I'd bet it's the
client.  That would mean you'd be transferring one file's worth of
compressed data over the network, which would be decompressed by the
client - optimal network usage.

I've done both massive and tiny restores from disk in Bacula, and it's
quite fast in both cases.