Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-3 tape Not Compressing data and speed

2011-01-20 03:39:45
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-3 tape Not Compressing data and speed
From: Jose Antonio Rodriguez Martin <jarodriguez AT cgi DOT es>
To: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 09:36:55 +0100
The files are copied to tape files created by the bacula. Which are compressed:

Filset:
Include {Options {Signature = MD5; compression = GZIP5}

What we have are two sets of backup:
1.-copied to hard disk files Bacula
2.-these same files copy them to tape.

To confirm you have everything I said, I will copy to tape uncompressed files. Really so certified the 417 GB is the maximum compression that allows.

The quality of the tapes, I have no way of knowing. The model I bought is brand Manufacturer: HP. The specific model is:
"HEWLETT-PACKARD C7973AN LTO" are packages of 20 LTO-3 tapes.

2011/1/18 Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
On 01/18/11 02:24, Jose Antonio Rodriguez Martin wrote:
> Nothing, it still does not copy more than 417 GB ...

If you're getting 417GB onto a 400GB tape, you're getting compression.
You're just not getting MUCH of it.

What kind of data are you backing up?  Not all data compresses well.
English text compresses about 4:1 on average.  Binaries, typically not
much at all.  Digital images, digital video, zip archives, MP3 audio?
Forget it.  Databases?  Sometimes you get lucky and get 10%-15%
compression, sometimes they don't compress at all.

--
 Phil Stracchino, CDK#2     DoD#299792458     ICBM: 43.5607, -71.355
 alaric AT caerllewys DOT net   alaric AT metrocast DOT net   phil AT co.ordinate DOT org

Jose Antonio Rodriguez Martin
CGI, S.A.
Teléfono: 607372465
skype: jarm-cgi