Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Quick Question on Windows 2003 backup to Debian Director

2011-01-17 03:14:17
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Quick Question on Windows 2003 backup to Debian Director
From: Jeremy Maes <jma AT schaubroeck DOT be>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2011 09:11:22 +0100
Op 14/01/2011 20:31, Duncan McQueen schreef:

We are backing up a Windows 2003 Small Business Server using Bacula (5.0.2) with the Director and FD on a Debian Server.  It is an incremental backup.  However, we have quite a few older files that just keep on getting backed up although nothing is touching or changing those files.

This is how I define the FileSet:

FileSet {

        Name = "Windows Server"

        Enable VSS = yes

        Include {

        Options {

         compression = GZIP

        }

        File = "C:/Apps"

        File = "C:/Users"

        File = "C:/System State Backup"

        Plugin = "exchange:/@EXCHANGE/Microsoft Information Store"

        }

}

Any suggestions to changes to try and eliminate the duplicate backups?

Incrementals that run too large are usually caused by other software that accesses files and reset the access time afterwards. (like virusscanners, some other backup software, etc) Bacula will check mtime (time that the file contents changed) and ctime (time that permissions changed) to determine if a file has changed and needs to be backed up. Ctime however, also changes when other applications reset the access time (atime). You can check all 3 linux times with "stat filename"

I would suggest trying to find out what other software is changing these times for your old files. Other bacula options you could try to solve this issue are the "accurate = yes" (will compare hash values of files, but takes quite a bit of CPU use) or "mtimeonly = yes" (will only check for changed mtime). The latter is nót a preferred solution if you want permissions to be backed up correctly aswell, but could help you find the issue.

Kind regards,
Jeremy

**** DISCLAIMER ****
http://www.schaubroeck.be/maildisclaimer.htm