Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Using one job config for multiple individual file backups?

2011-01-14 14:51:16
Subject: [Bacula-users] Using one job config for multiple individual file backups?
From: "Stan M. Hammond" <shammond AT whrc DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 14:18:35 -0500
I am looking to see if anyone has any ideas or even if it can be done.
We have a number of data files (3TB - over 12K files) that we want to
backup to tape.  We are already performing tape backups using Bacula
without any problems.  The 3TB backup is different because it will be a
one shot backup to tape for archiving.  It would be easy to create a job
to run and backup this data which we have done before.  However, the
data owner has cataloged this data within a database that he manages.
He would like to have a record in the database that tells him which tape
- based on the barcode - the data resides on.  We have developed scripts
- one to specify the file to backup and then write the returned barcode
to the database (data owner's script) and one to initiate the backup (my
script).  Since he needs to catalog a barcode for each file, his script
basically tells my script to create a new job configuration file for
each (yes, each) file it needs to backup.  By the time this is done over
12K individual backup jobs would have been completed.  It works except
for one problem: because the file to be backed up always changes, I have
my script rewrite the job configuration (see below) and then reload it
in bconsole.  As I have read and experienced, repeated reloads of the
configuration will cause Bacula to error back with "Too many open reload
requests. Request ignored" and then in our case crash bacula-dir.  I am
wondering if there is a way to perform this type of dynamic backup where
we can change the file being backed up in the job configuration without
crashing bacula-dir and without performing a bulk backup.  Or if this
simply cannot be done and we have to just do a bulk/regular backup.

I am running Bacula 5.0.3 on 64-bit CentOS 5.5

Job {
   Name = "Archive1"
   Type = Backup
   JobDefs ="DefaultJob"
   Client = client.whrc.org-fd
   FileSet = "Data Archive 2010"
   Messages = Archival
   Pool = Tape_Archive
   Storage = SL48
}

FileSet {
   Name = "Data Archive 2010"
   Include {
     Options {
       signature = MD5
     }
### My script rewrites the following line for each directory passed to
it, then reloads the configuration in bconsole
     File = "/mnt/data/usb_disk_1/dir3/sub1/sub2/006/056"
   }
}