Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?

2011-01-07 03:38:38
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?
From: Graham Keeling <graham AT equiinet DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 08:35:02 +0000
On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 12:52:22PM -0500, Phil Stracchino wrote:
> On 01/06/11 12:35, Graham Keeling wrote:
> >>>
> >> Thank you for pointing this out! So it doesn't grab new files from the
> >> client first? Well, that's not the smartest! Hmm, I wonder - How would
> >> you get a job to run run after another job, rather than have bacula
> >> decide via priorities?
> >
> > I don't know, but I think that your idea of combining them both into one job
> > is a far better solution.
>
> No, it isn't, because that's not the purpose of a VirtualFull job.
> Consider, for a single example, what would happen if your backup
> strategy includes grabbing a fast incremental of all laptops about an
> hour or two before everyone leaves for the day, then running a
> VirtualFull later that evening after everyone's gone home and taken
> their laptops with them.  All of the VirtualFulls would fail.

Alright, what I should have said is:

For me, a better solution would to add a new kind of job level. Call it
something different, like a KernFull or something. This doesn't stop you from
attempting to schedule Incrementals and VirtualFulls so that they don't
overlap.
(By the way, the strategy you outline uses up twice the amount of space for
the files included in the Incremental, because they will also be copied into
the VirtualFull)