Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?

2011-01-06 12:38:33
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Virtual Backups - Do we actually need full backups anymore?
From: Sean Clark <smclark AT tamu DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2011 11:36:10 -0600
On 01/06/2011 11:24 AM, Mister IT Guru wrote:
> On 06/01/2011 17:16, Graham Keeling wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 06, 2011 at 05:02:47PM +0000, Mister IT Guru wrote:
>>> I've been trying to get my head around virtual full backups.
>>>
>>> [...]
>> So, I would be very pleased if a VirtualFull also grabbed new files from the
>> client.
> Thank you for pointing this out! So it doesn't grab new files from the
> client first? Well, that's not the smartest! Hmm, I wonder - How would
> you get a job to run run after another job, rather than have bacula
> decide via priorities?
To be fair - if it's grabbing actual files directly from the client,
it's no longer a "virtual" backup.  I got the impression
that the point was to generate a "full" backup without having to talk to
the client at all.

I think if you give the virtual full a lower priority than the
incremental, you can schedule both for the same day and have it always
do the incremental then the virtual full in the correct order (haven't
actually TRIED to do this myself, so I'm guessing).