Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: Device is BLOCKED

2010-12-30 09:36:22
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: Device is BLOCKED
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2010 09:34:05 -0500
On 29/12/2010 03:41, John Drescher wrote:

> Sometines bacula sd gets confused about media changes especially when
> the tape it wants is not in the changer or it also sometimes gets

Yes, that's my experience too (with 5.0.3)

> confused if you use the umount command. Or if you moved or added
> volumes without issuing the update slots command. In these cases

I have a small autochanger which only holds a week's worth of tapes,
and if I forget to change tapes before the backup starts I find it
very difficult nowadays to recover from this situation.

With 2.x.x it was easy: change tapes, scan, "mount CHANGER slot=N"
and off it went.

With 3.x.x it was a little more difficult to figure out. The mount
slot=N command returned the reply "OK mount" and nothing happened.
After a few tries, I eventually discovered that "mount ... slot=0"
would make the SD reject whatever tape happened to be in the drive
(usually the last one to be scanned) and load the correct tape, and
the backup would continue.

Now, with 5.0.3, it is difficult to recover from human error without
restarting the SD.

> probably 1 out of 3 times I am able to recover by a combination of
> update slots and then release or umount and then a few mounts. If that
> does not work. I use the changer frontend to put the tape it wants
> into the drive it wants and then I try the mount command again. If

Next time this happens, I'll try repeating the mount command a few
times, and then a manual load if I need to, and see if that helps.
Thanks, John.

I also noticed that the 'list media' command in the text console no
longer aligns the columns properly (it seems to be using the column
header name for the column width, and no longer taking account of
the longest string in the data). Must have a go at debugging that.

Allan

--
John M. Drescher