Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] No files found for job even after updating catalog with bscan

2010-12-29 14:51:05
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] No files found for job even after updating catalog with bscan
From: Scott Taylor <staylor AT badgersys DOT com>
To: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2010 13:33:36 -0600
On 12/23/2010 12:56 PM, Dan Langille wrote:
> On 12/23/2010 9:55 AM, staylor wrote:
>>
>> I'm running Bacula 5.0.3 (on Gentoo AMD64) and I'm trying to recover
>> from
>> specifying incorrect file and job retention periods in my client
>> configuration, but I'm having trouble recovering one full backup
>> job.  I'm
>> using bscan to update the catalog from the backup volume; bscan
>> appears to
>> complete with no errors, and running "list files jobid=691" in bconsole
>> lists all the files from the backup.  However, if I attempt to do a
>> restore
>> using bconsole ("restore jobid=691"), I get the dreaded "For one or
>> more of
>> the JobIds selected, no files were found, so file selection is not
>> possible." message.  I'm somewhat at a loss; the file records are
>> apparently
>> in the database and the job hasn't been purged, so I don't understand
>> why
>> the restore command is unable to get the file list.
>>
>> I don't know if this is relevant or not, but I'm using Postgres as the
>> backend database and recently migrated from 8.3.3 to 8.4.4 (using the
>> pg_dumpall/psql sequence to migrate the data).  I haven't noticed any
>> issues, and apart from this problem (which I reckon is user error but I
>> can't figure out where I'm going wrong) Bacula appears to be working
>> fine
>> (including being able to list files for other backup jobs which I
>> also had
>> to recover using bscan).
>>
>> For what it's worth, here's the last bit of output from bscan (I
>> don't see
>> any errors in the bscan output; I even ran it once with "-vv" and
>> watched as
>> it processed all the files in the backup):
>>
>> End Job Session Record:
>> JobId             : 691
>> VerNum            : 11
>> PoolName          : borracho_full
>> PoolType          : Backup
>> JobName           : borracho backup
>> ClientName        : borracho-fd
>> Job (unique name) : borracho_backup.2010-07-11_01.00.00_31
>> FileSet           : borracho backup
>> JobType           : B
>> JobLevel          : F
>> JobFiles          : 490,068
>> JobBytes          : 118,975,605,570
>> StartBlock        : 3,028,263,747
>> EndBlock          : 3,121,096,503
>> StartFile         : 27
>> EndFile           : 27
>> JobErrors         : 0
>> JobStatus         : T
>> Date written      : 11-Jul-2010 04:27
>> bscan: bscan.c:1033 Fileset "borracho backup" already exists.
>> bscan: bscan.c:1154 Updated Job termination record for JobId=691
>> Level=Full
>> TermStat=T
>> bscan: bscan.c:1210 11-Jul-2010 04:27
>> JobId:                  691
>> Job:                    borracho_backup.2010-07-11_01.00.00_31
> [...]
Yes, that is exactly what the problem is; I reset "PurgedFiles" to 0 for
job 691 and all is well.  I was completely headed down the wrong path
worrying about of retention intervals and media configuration and stuff
like that, and didn't think to start at the beginning; thanks for doing
my basic research for me.

Scott