Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Help Me Configure My Migration!

2010-12-21 22:25:01
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Help Me Configure My Migration!
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2010 22:21:41 -0500
On 12/21/2010 9:36 AM, infosyst wrote:

> Dan Langille wrote:
>> On 12/20/2010 7:26 PM, infosyst wrote:
>>
>>> I want to setup migration and need some thoughts on the best way to
>>> configure things in order to achieve what I want.
>>>
>>> I have a backup server running bacula 2.4.4. It runs backups over the
>>> network for 9 different servers and stores them to hard disk. I run a
>>> single full backup once a week and differential backups every night the
>>> rest of the week in a 7 day cycle.
>>>

>> If you can upgrade.  That is nearly 2 years old.
>>

>>> This is fine, but now I would like to migrate my backups to tape and store
>>> the tape off-site each day. My thought is to move the hard drive backups to
>>> a single day cycle and use the tapes for a 14 day cycle. That way I never
>>> have to worry about disk space as there is always only a single day of
>>> backups stored on the disks. This also means that the previous nights
>>> backups are stored securely off-site as soon as they are migrated to tape.
>>>
>>> So basically what is the best configuration for doing this? My biggest
>>> challenge is configuring the Pools/Volumes/Jobs in a layout that is ideal
>>> for this setup. How should I approach that? Or should I be taking a
>>> different approach to this?
>>>

>> I just wrote: http://www.freebsddiary.org/bacula-disk-to-tape.php
>>
>> --
>> Dan Langille - http://langille.org/
>

> Yes, I can probably upgrade. I am reconfiguring most of it anyway so I might
> as well while I am at it.
>
> Good writeup. Would you recommend that I use copy over migration?

That depends on you.  They are pretty much the same process, except copy
copies the Catalog info.

> I have space to store up to 7 days of backups on the server hard drive. If I
> understand it correctly,
> I can copy those jobs to tape and keep them for an additional 7 days if I
> want (for a total
> of 14 days) and still restore individual files from them even after the
> initial 7 days is up and the
> volumes on the server have been recycled/purged, correct?

Keep your File and Job Retention >= your Volume retention.  Your disk
pool will have Volume = 7 days.  Your tape pool, 14 days.

 > The big benefit that I would see to copying
> is that if I need to restore anything within the first 7 days I can simply
> restore it from the server
> without having to go get a tape and load it. What job completes faster, a
> migration or a copy?

I say there isn't much difference.  Try it. See.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/