Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Migration tape to disk and AllowCompression sd usage

2010-12-16 14:13:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Migration tape to disk and AllowCompression sd usage
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 19:10:41 GMT

> Hi All,
>
> On a customer site, we need to "migrate" all the old sdlt tapes to disk base
> media.
>
> Everything is working actually between a temporary bacula-sd on which the
> sdlt tape is connected,
> and the disk based media.
>
> All work well with the usage of bcopy
>
> My question is about to get the new disk based media compressed, as actually
> we are ending with non compressed media
>
> I was thinking about the AllowCompression = yesno
> But this apply only in director storage definition, and is not used by bcopy
> (which mainly rely only on device)
>
> Any "guru" ideas, how to get a final compressed stream ?

It is impossible, because compression is done in the bacula-fd.  The copying
code (bcopy and Bacula's own copy/migration jobs) runs entirely without the
bacula-fd.

You could look at using a compressing filesystem to hold the backups (e.g. zfs
or something based on fuse
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/fuse/index.php?title=CompressedFileSystems).

__Martin