Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] bacula, webmin & FQDN

2010-12-14 16:00:50
Subject: [Bacula-users] bacula, webmin & FQDN
From: braedsjaa <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2010 10:37:31 -0500
I've set up a very basic Ubuntu server to run as a headless file server only to
be controlled through SSH or Webmin. This is running fine on a local network.
Next job is to get some basic local disk backup working and then add remote
backup.
I was drawn to Bacula because it seems to be highly recommended everywhere and
also has a good Webmin module which seems to be lacking for any other backup
systems I have found.
Now, as far as I can tell, the default installation (apt-get install bacula)
sets me up with Director, Storage and local File daemons, and a bacula MySQL
table; and should more-or-less *just work*... but it doesn't although Webmin
reports all services running OK... it gets stuck "waiting on Storage File"
according to Webmin.
I understand I need to change the address somewhere in the configuration and
have edited bacula-dir.conf
# Definition of file storage device
Storage &#123;
&nbsp; Name = File
# Do not use "localhost" here
&nbsp; Address = xyz-server
&nbsp; &nbsp;...

but not sure if there are other places where I should remove localhost; and I
wonder if "xyz-server" is not really a suitable address though according to
"hostname" it is my FQDN:
alan@xyz-server&#58;~$ sudo hostname --fqd
xyz-server

My default Storage Device is set to automatically label and mount media, but
there are no Volumes in my Pools.
I must admit I am very hazy on the meaning of the relationships between
Storage/Volumes/Pools especially when I only have file storage and no tape
drive (which bacula seems to have realised OK). I was hoping that the basics
would run OK and I would then be able to unravel it and see how it works. But
with it not working I have very little notion of what's wrong. I presume that
all that can be wrong is that I have an unsuitable/confusing FQDN or that the
address is entered in the wrong place. I've uninstalled and reinstalled a few
times to be sure the only things I have changed are this address name and
suitable paths for the backup file and the directories to be backed up.
We will be setting up a "proper" domain name with dyndns.org ... might this
help?
Is there a more suitable backup system for our modest needs (never likely to
have more than one server to backup) and which has a nice web-based interface?
I would be happy with rsync but console-only admin scares me a bit - so I
thought I'd easily find something with a simple GUI ... but maybe not so
simple. I fear I could have leared a lot about rsync if I'd spent my time
learning that instead of trying to get my head around this!
Any suggestions gratefully received   :?