Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] When are volumes marked "Purged"?

2010-12-07 07:55:56
Subject: [Bacula-users] When are volumes marked "Purged"?
From: "Rick Koshi" <bacula-users AT more-right-rudder DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 07:53:05 -0500
Minor background:
Bacula 5.0.3, ArchLinux 64-bit, mysql 5.1.  I'm doing my backups to disk,
and have my filesize limited to 50G.  Earlier, it was set to 5G, and this
discussion concerns volumes from that earlier setting.

I have several volumes which were all written by the same full backup job.
I have manually set the volume retention time to 0 (zero) on those volumes.
The job that wrote those volumes is no longer in the database, having been
auto-pruned when last night's backup needed a volume.  The new backup
automatically started overwriting the old volumes.

All of this is good so far.

What's confusing me is that the rest of the volumes are still marked "Full"
(not "Purged") and are taking up space on the disk.  I was expecting that
they would be marked "Purged" as soon as their job got pruned, and that
they would be auto-truncated (since I have "Action On Purge=Truncate" set
for that pool).

I'm sure there's a perfectly reasonable explanation, but I'm having trouble
finding it in the manual.  Can anyone explain why it didn't happen the way
I expect?

Many thanks in advance,

    -- Rick