Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Copy Job performance issues

2010-12-06 11:15:39
Subject: [Bacula-users] Copy Job performance issues
From: Christoph Litauer <litauer AT uni-koblenz DOT de>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 17:13:08 +0100
Dear bacula users,

I have a problem concerning the speed of copy jobs. My setup is:
- bacula server is OpenSuSE 11.3, version 5.0.3 using postgres, 2 Xeons (4
cores) and 8 GB memory.
- Attached is an iSCSI-RAID containing File devices
- Copy Jobs run to a Quantum Scalar 50 Tapelibrary with 2 LTO4 tape drives. The
library and the tapes are connected via eSATA. According to wikipedia, LTO4
should transfer 120MB/s without compression. Compression is enabled.

My backups go to the iSCSI-RAID. I run CopyJObs every day to copy all uncopied
jobs to tape.
My problem is, that my copy jobs run with max. 45 Mbyte/s

I checked the following:
- btape shows a maximum speed of 80MByte/sec.
- I can read about 150 Mbyte/s from the RAID device
- Copying data from RAID to tape using dd I get rates about 80 MByte/s
- While copying the cpu load is about 20-50% (bacula-sd)

So it seems as if bacula-sd itself slows the copy jobs down, but I cannot
imagine, why. Maybe it is a configuration issue, but reading the manuals didn't
help.

Configuration of the tape device in bacula-sd.conf:

Autochanger {
  Name = "Scalar50-2"
  Device = "LTO4-0"
  Device = "LTO4-1"
  Changer Device = /dev/tape/by-id/scsi-3500e09e0bb562001
  Changer Command = "/usr/lib64/bacula/mtx-changer %c %o %S %a %d"
}

Device {
  Name = "LTO4-0"
  Device Type = Tape;
  Media Type = LTO4
  Archive Device = /dev/tape/by-id/scsi-3500110a00104374e-nst
  AutomaticMount = yes;
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;
  Autochanger = yes
  Drive Index = 0
  Spool Directory = /var/spool/bacula
}

Device {
  Name = "LTO4-1"
  Device Type = Tape;
  Media Type = LTO4
  Archive Device = /dev/tape/by-id/scsi-3500110a0012be1ee-nst
  AutomaticMount = yes;
  AlwaysOpen = yes;
  RemovableMedia = yes;
  RandomAccess = no;