Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula stalls after 2.5 TB

2010-12-03 18:08:31
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula stalls after 2.5 TB
From: Wolfgang Denk <wd AT denx DOT de>
To: John Acar <JAcar AT gsoc.treas DOT gov>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 00:06:08 +0100
Dear John Acar,

In message <[email protected]>
you wrote:
> I have a job running right now.  It seems to be in the "stalled" state.

Then don't stop it. Analyze what's going on.

> status client
>
> Shows no data counter changes.
>
>    Backup Job started: 02-Dec-10 09:32
>     Files=1,215 Bytes=1,040,342,163,456 Bytes/sec=39,869,018 Errors> =0
>     Files Examined=1,215
>     Processing file: /firewall/mysql/archive/sdw_sw/sw_20090916.tar
>     SDReadSeqNo=5 fd=5
>
> Though bytes/s is going down
>
> The file does not seem to be open so I am at a loss of what is going on with
> some of these files.

Why do you think the file seems not to be open?

What sort of system is the client? If it's Linux or similar, you can
probably get a lot information by

- checking the /proc/*/fd entries for the file daemon
- attaching with strace to the file deamon to see what it's doing
- attaching with a debugger to see what it's doing
etc.

Even a simple test like running a "ps" to show which processes are
actually running (and eventually consuming CPU) is helpful.

Also check if you have software compression enabled in your setup.

My speculation is still that this might be a sparse file (eventually
unintentionally, like after disk errors) and you consume the time
compressing a zillion of null bytes or similar.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd AT denx DOT de
Of course there's no reason for it, it's just our policy.