Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Troubles with bacula and vchanger.

2010-12-01 14:55:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Troubles with bacula and vchanger.
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: studiob AT digido DOT com
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2010 14:52:51 -0500
On 12/1/2010 12:58 PM, Matt Coleman - Digital Domain wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to set up bacula to backup our company's desktop systems.
> The system I'm running bacula on has two eSATA docks. We'd like to back
> files up to drives in the eSATA docks, and be able to remove each drive
> and store it powered off once it's full. So, I've settled on
> bacula+vchanger as the most appropriate solution for our needs
> (Retrospect does what we need, too, but it's slow, unwieldy, and I
> believe even harder than bacula to extract individual files from a backup).
>
> I am currently testing with two hard drives that I have added to my
> vchanger configuration (set up with autofs mounting them using UUIDs as
> recommended by the vchanger HOWTO that's included with the source). I
> have only created 80GB partitions on them (to speed up the testing) and
> have told bacula and vchanger to create 4 19GB volumes. Yesterday before
> I left the office, I started a job and saw that it was writing to the
> first volume on the first drive. When I got to work today, I found that
> the backup had failed after only completing about 300MB. When I tried to
> inspect the drives, I found that I couldn't even mount the first drive.
> I rebooted and was able to mount the drive, however now vchanger doesn't
> show any magazines when I run the listmags command.

Do you mean autofs would not mount the drive after the crash? As in, the
ls command hung when you tried to list the drive's root directory? If
so, did you look at dmesg following the crash? Neither Bacula nor
vchanger do anything that should affect autofs. They are just
reading/writing files.

Also, did the vchanger initmag command give any messages? It looks like
there are only 4 volume files listed after the crash, but the
slots_per_magazine=12 in the vchanger config should have caused initmag
to create 12 (empty) volume files. Did the 'label barcodes' command in
bconsole work as expected?

I suggest you run e2fsck on the drives, then erase the files on the
drive and in /var/lib/bacula/vchanger and re-run the initmag. Before
using with Bacula, check that listmags works as expected. Then perform a
load and unload manually with vchanger and confirm that also works. If
not, then it may be a permissions issue. The root directory of the
drives and the /var/lib/bacula/vchanger directory must have rwx for the
user:group that bacula-sd runs as.