Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] best practices for pool limits with disk storage

2010-12-01 10:04:50
Subject: [Bacula-users] best practices for pool limits with disk storage
From: Igor Zinovik <zinovik.igor AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 18:02:38 +0300
  Hello, bacula-users@ readers.

I'm running bacula 5.0.3 on linux server with 2.1 TB NFS
share and I'm trying to correctly limit my volumes and
pools so that they wont grow larger than 2.1 TB.

I decided to size my pools following way:
I defined 3 pools they are : "full pool" for full backups,
"diff pool" for differential and "incr pool" for incremental.
For "full pool" I use approximately 59% of NFS volume size
this is about 1250 GB (250 * 5), for "diff pool" I use about
22% it is 480 GB (160 * 3) and for "incr pool" I use 19% from
backup volume this is 400 GB (40 * 10).  Do I understand right
that maximum total space for all pools will be 2130 GB.  My NFS
volume size in GB is 2170.  Do I calculate my "maximum volume bytes"
and "maximum volumes" correct, e.g. can my pools grow larger
than 2.1 TB?  How many bytes metadata takes in volumes?

Can anybody share his/her limits for pools?  I'm just thinking
that ten 40GB volumes for incremental backups is a bit an overkill.
I'm going to backup about 10 *nix machines and pair of windows servers.
Incremental backup of typical linux box right now is 6 to 100
megabytes, so I'm not sure about maximum volume bytes for "incr pool".

pool {
  name = "full pool"
  pool type = backup
  action on purge = truncate
  autoprune = yes
  recycle = yes
  # e.g. fullvol-20101125 fullvol-20110312, ...
  label format = "fullvol-${Year}${Month}${Day+}"
  volume retention = 6 months
  maximum volume bytes = 250g
  maximum volume jobs = 40
  maximum volumes = 5
}

pool {
  name = "diff pool"
  pool type = backup
  action on purge = truncate
  autoprune = yes
  recycle = yes
  label format = "diffvol-${Year}${Month}${Day+}"
  volume retention = 6 months
  maximum volume bytes = 160g
  maximum volume jobs = 80
  maximum volumes = 3
}

pool {
  name = "incr pool"
  pool type = backup
  action on purge = truncate
  autoprune = yes
  recycle = yes
  label format = "incrvol-${Year}${Month}${Day+}"
  volume retention = 21 days
  maximum volume bytes = 10g
  maximum volume jobs = 200
  maximum volumes = 40