Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] TLS and PKI, How to limit de encryption overhead ?

2010-11-18 12:34:56
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] TLS and PKI, How to limit de encryption overhead ?
From: Landon J Fuller <landonf AT bikemonkey DOT org>
To: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 12:14:14 -0500
On Nov 18, 2010, at 12:19 AM, Thomas Mueller wrote:

> On 18.11.2010 02:01, Dan Langille wrote:
>

>>> IMHO TLS is only used for the "control-channel" not for the "data-
>>> channel".
>>
>> Really? I hope not. Can you prove this?
>>

> ok maybe you're right. i've had in mind that it was not encrypted, but
> written is that the volumes written by sd are not encrypted. not the
> data transfer between fd and sd.

The TLS implementation supports encryption of all network communications
between all daemons.

> "The data written to Volumes by the Storage daemon is not encrypted by
> this code. "
>
> http://bacula.org/5.0.x-manuals/en/main/main/Bacula_TLS_Communications.html

Right -- this caveat is intended to explain that despite the network
communications being encrypted, the data actually written to the volume is not
encrypted -- ie, anyone with physical access to the disk or tape can still read
its contents, but the data can not be read off the wire by someone with a
network sniffer.

The data (but not meta-data) written to disk can be encrypted by the File
Daemon, but that is separate from the TLS support. Storage encryption in the
Storage Daemon is not currently supported (something we've discussed on the
list in the past).

-landonf