Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS error event 12302

2010-09-30 17:16:52
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS error event 12302
From: Jeroen van Meeuwen <kanarip AT kanarip DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 23:13:33 +0200
Machiel van Veen wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> I've noticed event 12302  being reported on several Windows 2003 servers.
>
> "Volume Shadow Copy Service error: An internal inconsistency was detected
> in trying to contact shadow copy service writers.  Please check to see
> that the Event Service and Volume Shadow Copy Service are operating
> properly."
>
> Even though this does not seem to be a Bacula specific issue but rather a
> VSS issue. I would like to hear if anyone encountered this problem before
> and knows how to solve it.
>
> Also, bacula reports the backups to be OK even though the VSS error states
> the data is inconsistent. Does this mean the backups are actually fine or
> do I have corrupted files in the backup now?

Actually the report says there was an inconsistency detected internally; it
doesn't say the data backed up is inconsistent -even though it is not entirely
unreasonable to assume the data is in fact inconsistent. For all we know, the
internal inconsistency detected had to do with what error number to throw ;-)

If in fact the data is inconsistent, VSS should fail since it's purpose is
data consistency. That said, it should fail in ways that made everything on
the data consuming side of VSS (such as Bacula) aware of such failure.

FWIW, the symbolic name for this event seems to suggest that it is a write
operation that fails, maintaining data consistency on the consuming side.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen