Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with removable drives

2010-09-28 13:04:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with removable drives
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2010 13:00:47 -0400
On 9/28/2010 3:10 AM, Luca Bertoncello wrote:
> Hi, List!
>
> I'm new to Bacula and I have a little problem...
>
> I want to backup two servers (Ubuntu Server 10.04), so I installed
> bacula-director, bacula-fd and bacula-sd on a server (with a SATA
> removable drive slot) and bacula-fd on the other.
>
> I followed the HowTo at
> http://wiki.bacula.org/doku.php?id=removable_disk (just using SATA
> disks rather than USB disks).

That howto and script is quite old. As mentioned in the revision history
at the top, vchanger is a separate project at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vchanger/. You should really try a newer
version, as that howto and script was created for use with Bacula
version 1.39 I believe.

> I configured vchanger (/etc/bacula/satachanger1.conf) so:
> baculasd="satachanger1"
> bconsole=/usr/bin/bconsole
> magslots=20
> maxdrive=0
> mountpoint=/mnt/satachanger1/magazine
> statedir=/var/lib/bacula/satachanger1
>
> My bacula-sd.conf has following part:
> Autochanger {
>    Name = sata-changer-1
>    Device = sata-changer-1-drive-0
>    Changer Command = "/etc/bacula/vchanger %c %o %S %a %d"
>    Changer Device = "/etc/bacula/satachanger1.conf"
> }
> #---  drive 0 of the sata-changer-1 autochanger
> Device {
>    Name = sata-changer-1-drive-0
>    DriveIndex = 0
>    Autochanger = yes;
>    DeviceType = File
>    MediaType = File
>    ArchiveDevice = /var/lib/bacula/satachanger1/drive0
>    RemovableMedia = no;
>    RandomAccess = yes;
> }
>
> and my bacula-dir.conf has this storage configured:
> Storage {
>    Name = satachanger1
>    Address = hal9000.netzing.intra
>    SDPort = 9103
>    Password = "<my secret>"
>    Device = sata-changer-1
>    Media Type = File
>    Autochanger = yes;
> }
>
> Now I receive every day an E-Mail with this content:
> 28-Sep 08:15 hal9000-sd JobId 57: Please mount Volume "m03s005" or label a
> new one for:
>      Job:          BackupGateway.2010-09-28_01.00.00_54
>      Storage:      "sata-changer-1-drive-0"
> (/var/lib/bacula/satachanger1/drive0)
>      Pool:         File
>      Media type:   File
>
> On the current disk there is no m03s005. It has just m02sXXX files.
>
> Now, what I'm doing wrong?

The current disk could be full. There could be no available volumes on
the current disk. This could also happen if you do not issue a "update
slots" command in bconsole after changing SATA disks. The update slots
command is what allows Bacula to determine which volumes are currently
available. When selecting the next available volume to use, Bacula makes
use of this info and will try to select a volume that is "in changer"
and available. If it can't find a currently available volume that is "in
changer", it will select an available volume that is not "in changer"
and ask the operator to mount it.