Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula config questions

2010-09-16 13:14:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula config questions
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 13:11:22 -0400
On 09/16/10 10:31, sid009 wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Apologies if these questions have been done to death but I couldn't
> find specific answers. Bacula documentation seems overwhelming
>
> I have a few questions I am hoping someone can help with.
>
> 1- I have my tapes all tied to the 'Default' pool. I want a tape to
> be used every day i.e. have tapes for MON, TUE, WED, THU, FRI doing
> incremental backups. On Monday I want to use only one tape regardless
> of whether it is full or not. On tuesday I want the autolaoder to use
> the Tuesday tape and so on. Does anyone have a sample config on how
> to do this or the steps?

If you're determined to keep all your tapes in a single pool, try
setting volume use duration on all your tapes to 23 hours.  This will
force selection of a new tape for the next day's backups.  From there
on, it's just a matter of making sure you initially start out by using
the tapes in the right order.

Evidently you have a weekly rotation; you will want to set retention on
your tapes for one day less than the planned usage rotation cycle.  For
example, for a one-week rotation, set the retention to six days; if you
want each tape to get re-used every three weeks, set the retention to
twenty days.

> 2- When a job fails for whatever reason or the client is unavailable
> I want Bacula to skip that job and move to the next one instead of
> waiting for the job to complete/fail etc. I have a number of jobs,
> only one works. I want bacula to skip the jobs when it sees a problem
> or time out maybe?

You can use the checkhost script as a run-before-job to skip unavailable
clients.

> 3- I want to take a tape offsite every week. How to achieve this. I
> want to have on tape for Saturday doing full backups. I want that
> tape to be taken offsite. Anyone have any examples I can refer to?

I don't see how this is a Bacula question.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.