Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Minimum version of GCC needed to compile Bacula (5.0.3)?

2010-09-07 07:35:00
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Minimum version of GCC needed to compile Bacula (5.0.3)?
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 7 Sep 2010 12:32:02 +0100

>   I'm not finding it in the documentation so far...
>
> I'm attempting to build a storage daemon on a Western Digital "MyBook
> World Edition(tm)" NAS, using the
> most recent gcc available from ipkg, which unfortunately is all the way
> back to 3.4.6.  I'm getting some errors
> as it tries to compile the bacula libraries, which I assume is why
> subsequent building of file and storage daemons fails.
>
> Is 3.4.6 just too old, am I just doing something wrong, or is this some
> kind of bug?
>
> Excerpt from the compile-time output below:
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> ==>Entering directory /shares/internal/temp/bacula-5.0.3/src/lib
> make[1]: Entering directory `/shares/internal/temp/bacula-5.0.3/src/lib'
> Compiling attr.c
> Compiling base64.c
> Compiling berrno.c
> Compiling bsys.c
> Compiling bget_msg.c
> Compiling bnet.c
> Compiling bnet_server.c
> Compiling runscript.c
> Compiling bsock.c
> bsock.c: In member function `bool BSOCK::despool(void (*)(ssize_t),
> ssize_t)':
> bsock.c:591: error: `posix_fadvise' was not declared in this scope
> make[1]: *** [bsock.o] Error 1
> make[1]: Leaving directory `/shares/internal/temp/bacula-5.0.3/src/lib'

This looks like a problem with the system header files, rather than gcc.

What is the output of configure where it prints "checking for
posix_fadvise..."?

If it says "yes" then you will need to find out where posix_fadvise is
declared in /usr/include and why Bacula isn't seeing that declaration when it
compiles bsock.c.

__Martin