Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] RES: RES: LTO-3 tape not compressing data/premature end of tape space

2010-09-01 15:31:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] RES: RES: LTO-3 tape not compressing data/premature end of tape space
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Rodrigo Ferraz <Rodrigo.Ferraz AT conceptnetservices DOT com>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 15:28:57 -0400
On Wed, Sep 1, 2010 at 3:12 PM, Rodrigo Ferraz
<Rodrigo.Ferraz AT conceptnetservices DOT com> wrote:
> Hi John. No software compression is enabled in bacula. Files are basically
> compressible files, such as MS Office, engineer drawings, images, text files,
> etc. Just a fraction of them are compressed files (.ZIP and .RAR), not more
> than 5%.
>
> Regarding your second comment I guess it could be the case and it is also
> worth of some more analysis. When bacula reaches the end of the tape, does it
> tell you or log the block where it has stopped? I know that a 'mt -f
> /dev/nst0 status' would return the current block position, but I would like
> to know if bacula does it too. Also, is there a way to check how many total
> blocks the operating system or bacula are seeing on the tape? Regarding this
> last question, is tapeinfo's MinBlock/MaxBlock information reliable enough to
> conclude that this tape has a total of 16,777,215 blocks?

There are a variable # of blocks because of compression and other
factors. These min and max blocks are the sizes. 1 byte minimum block
you can tell the tape drive to write. 16MB maximum block you can tell
the tape drive to write. The default I believe is 64KB.

John