Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Bacula backups running extremely slowly

2010-08-11 17:15:22
Subject: [Bacula-users] Bacula backups running extremely slowly
From: frozensolid <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 15:14:52 -0400
I have my first backup job running on a Suse Enterprise 10.3 VM.  I started the
backup at 1:30 am last night, and at noon it was still running and had only
made about a 7 GB backup file.  The system's CPU load is 0.28 or less while the
backup is running, and I've yet to see it go above 2% cpu usage.

The job reports it's running at around 300,000 Bytes/sec, though it starts out
at around 2,000,000 before I see it start dropping and eventually averages out
there.

I've tried messing with the Maximum Network Buffer Size but every change I made
seem to make matters worse instead of better.  I've turned on and off GZIP and
it didn't make a difference.  I'm not sure what else to consider.  It's almost
entirely default settings.

The Director, Client, and Storage are all running on the same VM.  I have the
files I'm backing up mounted as network shares, and it's saving the backup file
to a diferent network share.  The whole network is setup on gigabit, but even
on a 100 megabit network I should be seeing more speed than I'm getting.  What
might I be doing wrong?