Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] ClientRunBeforeJob question

2010-08-11 17:04:13
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] ClientRunBeforeJob question
From: Steve Thompson <smt AT vgersoft DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:01:10 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 11 Aug 2010, John Drescher wrote:

>> Bacula 5.0.2. The documentation states that a ClientRunBeforeJob script
>> that returns a non-zero status causes the job to be cancelled. This is not
>> what appears to happen, however. Instead a fatal error is declared:
>
> Maybe the documentation should be better written because it appears to
> have done exactly what I expected. I mean the run script returns a non
> zero code ( meaning error ) and the job was canceled.

Ah, I see that "run before job and cancel" with a non-zero exit status
actually means "run as part of the job and kill it". Really what I want is
for a non-zero exit status from the ClientRunBeforeJob script to act as if
the job had never been run at all; ie no diagnostics, no database entry,
no e-mail, etc. Acting as a cancel of a pending job does would be enough.

What I have here are two servers using DRBD+heartbeat to export several
file systems that are built on top of DRBD devices. Each of the two
servers runs its own backups, and there is a third (fourth...) backup of
the highly-available file systems, each using a different pool. I'm
looking for an elegant way to backup the HAFS. I've tried:

(1) two jobs backing up the HAFS, one on each host, using the
ClientRunBeforeJob to determine which one is active. It works, but is not
very clean looking.

(2) separate backup jobs for the servers with a third bacula client, the
virtual IP, backing up the HAFS. I'm using TLS, and can't get this to work
(the fd's certificate having the wrong common name, it being the name
corresponding to the VIP rather than one of the two server names, which
are of course different). I'd rather do it this way if anyone has managed
to get it to work.

Steve