Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Network performance

2010-08-11 12:15:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Network performance
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: Hugo Silva <hugo AT barafranca DOT com>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 17:57:58 +0200

> I had to disable the Maximum Network Buffer Size in the mean time,
> coincidence or not the director started throwing out "unknown errors"
> while connecting to storage, so this test is run with default buffer
> sizes (which shouldn't be a problem -  I got 91-93% of the max link
> speed with iperf using default buffer sizes)
>
> This test:
>   * Uses TLS encryption [encrypted comms]
>   * Uses PKI encryption [encrypted backup data]
>   * Does not use compression
>
> I don't think TLS/PKI is the cause - there's plenty of CPU% while it's
> running. Could investigate this further.

are you sure PKI (data encryption) is not the bottleneck?

IMHO PKI is single-threaded (as gzip compression is) and can just use one
processor (or one core of a multi-core processor). the "plenty of CPU%"
could be the other cores which cannot be used to do encryption. on linux,
start top, press "1" and you will get stats of every core.

- Thomas