Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] About pool retention

2010-08-10 10:15:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] About pool retention
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 14:11:49 +0000 (UTC)

>> If you do everyday a backup you need to change the "Volume Retention"
>> to something lower than 7 days because the retention is counted from
>> the last written date.
>
> Can you be more detail here? I need to make it less then 7 to make it
> recycle?
>
> Im little confused about all Bacula retention policy...

timeline:

day 1 22:00: start backupjob, allocate volume
      23:30: jobs ends

day x 22:00: start backupjob, allocate volume
      23:30: jobs ends

day 8 22:00: backup job starts, doesn't find a volume to append
      23:30: just now the volume from day 1 could be recycled

at least i think this is how the retention time of the volume is
calculated

- Thomas