Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Need clarification regarding backup of backup server config files and catalog

2010-08-10 06:27:56
Subject: [Bacula-users] Need clarification regarding backup of backup server config files and catalog
From: Hugo Silva <hugo AT barafranca DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2010 11:09:46 +0100
Hi,

I have some doubts regarding the proper method to backup the backup
server itself and the database.

 From what I understand, I need to configure a file daemon @ the backup
server, back up whatever I'm interested in, and run the catalog backup
job after everything else has run, while instructing it to produce a
"bootstrap file".

Do I need bootstrap files for *every* job on *every* client? If so, what
is the reasoning behind it? I couldn't interpret the documentation in a
definitive way regarding this.

It is my current understanding that I should only have a bootstrap file
for the backup server backup job and catalog backup job, so that in the
event of a disaster I could just reinstall bacula and restore the
director/sd configurations + the catalog from the bootstrap file(s).

The documentation mentions writing these files to another machine. I'm
thinking scp with public keys. What do you usually do ?

Finally, and assuming all of the above is correct, does anyone have
firsthand experience with recovering the director/catalog from a
boostrap file? What is the procedure to do this? Any pitfalls?