Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Migrating jobs - Is this correct, my bacula fails to load?

2010-08-01 19:05:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Migrating jobs - Is this correct, my bacula fails to load?
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Mister IT Guru <misteritguru AT gmx DOT com>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 2010 19:02:35 -0400
On 8/1/2010 6:47 PM, Mister IT Guru wrote:
> On 01/08/10 13:13, Dan Langille wrote:
>> On 7/31/2010 1:36 PM, Mister IT Guru wrote:
>>>
>>> Job {
>>>      Name = "migrate"
>>>      Type = Migrate
>>>      Level = Full
>>>      Client = clientname
>>>      FileSet="Full Set"
>>>      Messages = Standard
>>>      Pool = Default
>>>      Maximum Concurrent Jobs = 4
>>>      Selection Type = OldestVolume
>>>      Selection Pattern = "ignored"
>>> }
>>>
>>> Will this pattern only migrate completed jobs? Or will it migrate all
>>> jobs, including failed ones? If so, can I use a SQL query so that I can
>>> migrate only completed jobs, starting from the oldest one?
>>
>> You say Bacula fails to load.  What version of Bacula?  What errors
>> are you seeing?
>>
>>> Also, is it possible to change the filename of the volumes once the jobs
>>> they contain have been migrated off? This is because I'm attempting to
>>> reclaim disk space, and I'll need to rename the volumes once they become
>>> empty so that I don't lose any viable data.
>>
>> It is best to ask just one question per email.
>>
>> Your premise makes no sense.  Once the Volume is *empty*, it contains
>> no data.
>>
> Sorry for my bad English! *I should be ashamed, London, England born and
> bred!* My migration jobs seem to all fail saying no files found to
> migrate, even though I know 100% that the files are there.
>
> Basically, I put together my bacula in a bit of a rush, and i now have
> thousands of volumes populating my nas. I have configured a second
> storage daemon,

NOTE: Migration is only implemented for a single Storage daemon. You
cannot read on one Storage daemon and write on another.

The same may apply to Job Copy as well.  You may have to mount the other
NAS on the first SD.

At the following URL, read "Important Migration Considerations" slowly
and carefully.

  http://www.bacula.org/manuals/en/concepts/concepts/Migration_Copy.html

> and i now wish to migrate the jobs of clients into
> seperate pools. For example, I want to migrate all the completed jobs of
> client1.domain.com to a new temporary pool for client1.
>
> This way, I now have the whole backup history of client1 in one pool,
> which I can now add proper retention times on, so that I have a
> manageable amount of files.
>
> At the end of this exercise, i should end up with all the jobs of
> particular clients in separate pools.
>
> I'm still trying to learn how bacula works properly, so please forgive
> me if I don't fully understand everything.

That sounds reasonable.

--
Dan Langille - http://langille.org/