Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Odd Maximum Spool Size behavior after network connection interruption

2010-07-29 17:41:56
Subject: [Bacula-users] Odd Maximum Spool Size behavior after network connection interruption
From: Glen Barber <glen.j.barber AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2010 17:39:50 -0400
Hi,

I've seen this odd behavior twice now, and I'm having trouble tracking
down the cause.  Both times, it was after a network connection issue
during a backup.

When the network connection is interrupted, the SD stops writing to the
spool, the spool file is removed, and the failed job gets rescheduled.
However, though the SD never seems to become aware that the spool file
has been removed, and doesn't use all available space.

I have Maximum Spool Size set to 25gb.  Though, it doesn't appear to be
using (25gb - failed_job_spoolfile_size), as the the 25gb spool size is
very generously high.  In the most recent situation, the SD was spooling
130MB chunks.

The only time I realize there is an issue is when I see large amounts of
"User specified spool size reached." messages, and the spool is written
to tape roughly once a minute or so.  Killing the SD gets everything
back on track, and there doesn't appear to be any other issues outside
of constant tape writes.

Has anyone else seen this?  Might this be something that is corrected in
5.0.3?  I have no compelling reason to upgrade otherwise, and this
really isn't a problem.

I'm using bacula 5.0.0 on FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE.

Thanks, and regards.

--
Glen Barber