Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to do a remote rollback?

2010-07-24 16:32:28
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to do a remote rollback?
From: Phil Stracchino <alaric AT metrocast DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 16:30:25 -0400
On 07/24/10 16:10, Mister IT Guru wrote:
> On 24/07/10 19:57, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>>> What would be a method of restoring a remote linux based server to it
>>> last full backup, (or even it's first!). Is such a move possible?
>>>
>> Got a management card in it:)?
>>
>> Seriously, there are a few ways all not without big chance. You can create
>> a default grub entry to boot into an instance that doesn't mount your
>> destination
>> root, instead it has what it needs copied into /boot. Or if you have lots of
>> space,
>> restore to a new disc then adjust grub...
>>
>> Hard to suggest an approach not knowing your hardware etc...
>>

> I was thinking of a general approach, one that can be run on any linux
> box - my end result would be something like, run a restore job on the
> target client, and have it reboot, and it's now how it was when I took
> it's first backup. It seems a full environment may be needed.

I would do something like this:
- Set up the machine with two completely separate boot environments, a
"live" filesystem and an emergency recovery filesystem on a SSD.
Configure it so
that *it boots *by default* into the recovery image, but can be rebooted
into either image by console or remote command.
- If you need to recover, log into the machine and reboot it into the
recovery image.  Restore the desired image onto the live disk.  Reboot
back into the live filesystem.
- If the machine has crashed badly enough that it can't be rebooted
remotely, just ask the remote site to powercycle it.  It'll boot into
the recovery image and you can repair or restore from there.

co.ordinate DOT org
                 It's not the years, it's the mileage.