Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Explanation of periods

2010-07-21 12:44:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Explanation of periods
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: Alex Huth <a.huth AT tmr DOT net>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 12:42:00 -0400
On 7/21/2010 8:39 AM, Alex Huth wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I want to be sure if have understand the periods and there relationship
> to a possible restore.
>
> The file retention period define the possibility to restore files over
> the given period. If i have the following schedule, how do i have to set
> the retention periods to have always two full sets of data?
>
> Schedule {
>      Name = "WeeklyCycle"
>      Run = LEVEL=Full 1st sun at 0:30
>      Run = Level=Differential 2nd-5th sun at 0:30
>      Run = Level=Incremental mon-sat at 0:30
> }
>
> I use diskbased storage with three different pools.
>
> Full-Pool   file retention 2 month
>              job retention  4 month
>              volume retention 2 month
>              maximum volumes 3

I always recommend keeping File, Job, and Volume retention at the same
value.  Otherwise, you'll wonder why you can't restore an individual
file, and you'll come asking on the mailing list, and we'll tell you why
you can't.... etc.

I think you need a 3 month retention to always have two full backups.
Otherwise, you'll risk losing the oldest backup if the newest backup is
delayed for some reason.  Consider it N+1 periods.

Dan Langille - http://langille.org/