Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula on Windows SBS 2008

2010-07-15 08:01:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula on Windows SBS 2008
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2010 04:55:49 -0700
I've been using Bacula on a Windows 2008 server for a while now. A couple
things:

- Forget tape drives. With SBS Server, use USB hard disks for backup. Use
2008's native backup (Not NTBackup any more - the new one is MUCH improved once
you get over the completely new concepts).
- Forget BackupExec. There really never was much justification for it in most
businesses. SBS' own built-in utilities are very good for 90% of small
businesses and much easier to manage. BackupExec and Bacula excel in larger
installations.

- Make sure you apply Exchange 2007 SP2. This is true even with Windows' own
backup. Before that service pack, Exchange was not backup aware! I think some
backup vendors provided their own VSS providers for Exchange.

- Junction points generate warning messages. You will get lots of them. Some
other people have reported that Bacula handles them just fine, and you can
restore it without a problem.
- Bacula for Windows does not support IPv6 and, worse, has an ugly failure mode
(you have to create a separate A record in DNS without a corresponding AAAA
record for the server to make it work). Windows 2008 heavily uses IPv6, so
turning it off is really not an option.
- Only bacula-fd exists supported on Windows. Bacula-dir and bacula-sd are
unsupported.

What I do is use Windows' own backup to create a full server backup to another
hard disk. I then back up this hard disk using bacula. In my case, that is very
easy because the backup disk is an iSCSI drive.