Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Feature request: dir-name as a parameter to bconsole

2010-07-14 10:22:29
Subject: [Bacula-users] Feature request: dir-name as a parameter to bconsole
From: Olaf Zevenboom <olaf AT artefact DOT nl>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>, bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 16:20:18 +0200
Item x (new): add the ability to pass a director-name to bconsole on start of
bconsole
Date: 14 july 2010
Origin: Olaf Zevenboom (olaf at artefact dot nl)
Background:
Recently I found myself adding a second Director to the network while in
process of moving Bacula to a new server. To allow easy administration I added
the other Director to both bconsole.conf files on the two servers. As a result
none of my custom scripts using bconsole worked anymore. The reason for this is
that bconsole is not sure to connect to which director and therefor asks the
user. The scripts however were written when no such question was asked as there
was only one director at the time.

Proposal:
- add a configuration keyword to bconsole, for instance "default" specifying to
which director this bconsole should connect by default, if this option is not
found or defined as "none" or something: act as bconsole currently does and ask
the user.
- add a parameter to the bconsole command allowing to define the director to
which it should connect.
  If this parameter is not set: check for to new keyword as described above etc.
  If parameter is ill-formed: report so and ask for which director to connect to
- allow for director-name "localhost" as a generic name for the director
running on the machine the script executing bconsole is running on. This way
scripts can become portable when calling bconsole with localhost.