Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] MTFSF error positioning tape following reboot

2010-07-09 18:00:47
Subject: [Bacula-users] MTFSF error positioning tape following reboot
From: AndyW <bacula-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2010 17:58:12 -0400
I thought I had fixed this by upgrading to Bacula 5 (as part of Fedora 13
upgrade) and reverting bacula-sd.conf settings to defaults.  I can perform
reboots, stop & restart bacula-sd, and Bacula is able to append.  However the
other day the system locked up (due to an unrelated issue) & I had to reboot
the hard way with the power switch.  After that I am back to MTEOM tape
positioning errors:-
08-Jul 01&#58;06 bacula-sd JobId 315&#58; Error&#58; Unable to position to end
of data on device "SLR7" &#40;/dev/nst0&#41;&#58; ERR=dev.c&#58;956 ioctl MT
EOM error on "SLR7" &#40;/dev/nst0&#41;. ERR=Input/output error.

If I try to position at the end of this tape I get an I/O error:-
&#91;root@localhost dev&#93;# mt -f /dev/nst0 eod
/dev/nst0&#58; Input/output error
But if I use the previous week's tape, which did not have any errors, mt -f
/dev/nst0 eod successfully positions the tape.

It looks as if Bacula writes the EOM marker when it is shut down nicely, not
when it completes the backup job; if it is shut down brutally it doesn't get
written and so the end of the medium can't be found.  Is this how Bacula really
works?  If it is, how can I get round it, or is it a bug?

For the record, my (default) bacula-sd.conf settings are:-
&nbsp; &nbsp;Hardware End of Medium = Yes
&nbsp; &nbsp;Fast Forward Space File = Yes
&nbsp; &nbsp;Use MTIOCGET = Yes
&nbsp; &nbsp;BSF at EOM = No
&nbsp; &nbsp;Two EOF = No
&nbsp; &nbsp;Backward Space Record = Yes
&nbsp; &nbsp;Backward Space File = Yes
&nbsp; &nbsp;Forward Space Record = Yes
&nbsp; &nbsp;Forward Space File = Yes
and my tape driver options are
The options set&#58; buffer-writes async-writes read-ahead can-bsr