Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Retension (forward to end of tape, then rewind)

2010-07-09 01:18:18
Subject: [Bacula-users] Retension (forward to end of tape, then rewind)
From: Laurent Chouinard <laurent.chouinard AT sem DOT ca>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2010 15:17:20 -0400
Hi,

I have been searching for this for a while, but all I could find relates
to "retention", as in, the period of time to keep records of
files/volumes/medias in a system.

What I'm trying to achieve it retension, or the act of seeking a tape to
the end, then rewinding it.

My question is two-fold:
a) I want to do a retension of all my tapes. "mt -f /dev/st0 retension"
produces no output and immediately quits. It appears to do nothing.

b) I would like to have my Bacula system automatically start a job by
first retensioning the tape, and then doing the backup. Or it could be
at the end. Or I can schedule a monthly retension job, whatever. I just
want to have some way of automating the process of retensioning my tapes.

My drive is a Seagate DAT72 internal, SCSI. I believe these are the same
as DDS5 cartridges?

The host is Linux Debian Etch, on which runs both the director and the
storage daemon.

Thanks

Laurent