Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring from possibly (probably!) corrupt disk volume

2010-02-26 09:54:04
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Restoring from possibly (probably!) corrupt disk volume
From: "Mike Holden" <bacula AT mikeholden DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:50:26 -0000
Martin Simmons wrote:

>> bextract: record.c:465-0 Block=219743 Ver=2 size=64512
>> bextract: record.c:473-0 Enter read_record_block: remlen=56750 data_len=222
>> rem=0
>> blkver=2
>> bextract: record.c:533-0 rd_rec_blk() got FI=303570 SessId=62 Strm=GZIP
>> len=113
>> remlen=56738 data_len=0
>> bextract: record.c:592-0 Rtn full rd_rec_blk FI=303570 SessId=62 Strm=GZIP
>> len=113
>> bextract: read_record.c:207-0 read-OK. state= blk=219743 rem=0
>> file:block=0:1291207847
>> bextract: read_record.c:217-0 recno=43 state= blk=219743 SI=62 ST=1264433856
>> FI=303570
>> bextract: read_record.c:286-0 OK callback. recno=43 state= blk=219743 SI=62
>> ST=1264433856 FI=303570
>>
>>         ---
>> End
>> bextract
>> log
>>
>> My guess is that it is probably disappearing on some kind of null or garbage
>> pointer chase.
>>
>> Can someone who understands the internals of what is going on with these
>> programs
>> offer any information on what I can do to extract the rest of the volume?
>
> It is probably getting stuck when trying to uncompress that block (Strm=GZIP).
>
> You might be able to skip that file by doing bextract -b with a bootstrap
> file.  Use FileIndex lines in the bootstrap file to avoid index 303570 (see
> FI=303570 above).
>
> __Martin

And the winner is ... Martin Simmons!!!

Absolutely brilliant. I have now recovered some files from beyond where it was
sticking before, and hopefully now can recover everything I need where I still
have
the file volumes.

Another useful snippet to add to my arsenal.

Just one extra piece of info for anyone who comes across this email in the
archives
some time, bls with the "-v" flag lists the FileIndex value for each file it
outputs, so you can easily find the numbers you need.

As the Rugby League legend Brian Carney said in a TV interview a while ago "I'm
as
chuffed as a rabbit with two d**ks!", before being reminded by the interviewer
that
he was live on national TV!

Thanks very much Martin!
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted items,
including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts