Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] software compression, real size vs size written?

2010-02-24 17:39:31
Subject: [Bacula-users] software compression, real size vs size written?
From: Joseph Dickson <joseph.dickson AT ajboggs DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 17:29:31 -0500

Greetings!

I’m relatively new to Bacula, and am working on my first deployment.  I am working in a completely disk-based environment, so I have a single director and SD which run on the same host, and a few Windows test server clients which run FD’s.

Because it’s all disk based, I’m using compression=gzip4 in my fileset directives.  I have two questions regarding compression:

1)        What is the percentage that is reported in the job statistics?  Is that how well the compression is doing, or how much CPU it took to do it?  I’ve seen references to both..

2)      Is there an easy way in bconsole to see what the actual size on disk of the job was?  All of the size numbers reported seem to be post-compression, which makes sense since the compression happens on the host, but I’m assuming bacula is storing ACTUAL size on disk info in the catalog somewhere.. I’d love to quickly see how much REAL data I’m backing up, compared to how much virtual tape space it’s taking..

Thanks!

Joseph Dickson

AJ Boggs

joseph.dickson AT ajboggs DOT com