Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] backup rotation, recycling and getting bacula to reuse a tape

2010-02-23 22:25:50
Subject: [Bacula-users] backup rotation, recycling and getting bacula to reuse a tape
From: David Koski <david AT kosmosisland DOT com>
To: bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 19:22:59 -0800
Please comment on this strategy.  Does it look reasonable?  Any caveats?

I have installed bacula and configured the director, storage and file daemons.
My strategy is to have two pools, one for weekly full backups and one for
daily incrementals.  The hardware is a Exabyte Storageloader with 10 slots.
The objective is to have a system that a non-technical person can change the
tapes in without the intervention of an administrator so bconsole is not an
option for the routine.  As such, I have created a script to run before a
backup:

  1 #!/bin/bash
  2
  3 # update slot information in case of tape change
  4 # use this before doing a backup
  5
  6 # David Koski
  7 # Mon Feb 22 20:39:17 PST 2010
  8
  9 /usr/bin/bconsole -c /etc/bacula/bconsole.conf <<EOF
 10 update slots storage=Library
 11 EOF
 12

All of the weekly tapes will have been added to the weekly pool.  The
retention will be set to a minimum, perhaps one day or less so they can
always be overwritten if the operator (non-technical user changing tapes)
chooses.  This is more like the previous backup program they are used to
(BRU) which has no concept of retention and is consistant with customer
expectations.  The full backups will always take two tapes and there will be
two slots allocated to the full backup.

The Daily backup tapes will occupy four slots and remain in the library with a
retention time of maybe a week.  They will probably hold two weeks if dailys
are appended each day.  It is expected that no user intervention is needed
for daily backups and they will be recycled by bacula as needed.

Thank you for your input.

Regards,
David Koski
david AT kosmosisland DOT com