Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VolFile in bootstrap files

2010-02-23 16:30:29
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VolFile in bootstrap files
From: Craig Miskell <craig.miskell AT opus.co DOT nz>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2010 10:27:33 +1300
And, for the record, derived from the source code:

VolAddr is the "file" << 32 (i.e. multipled by 2^32), with the "block" added.
These being the startfile, endfile,
startblock and endblock fields from jobmedia.

So if you're constructing your own VolAddr field in a bootstrap record, find
the earliest and latest jobmedia records
with the fileindexes you want (using firstindex/lastindex and jobid).  Then,
from the earliest jobmedia record take
startfile, multiply by 2^32 and add startblock.  That's your start VolAddr.
The end VolAddr is the same thing, but
using the latest jobmedia record and endfile/endblock instead.

Using that I can replicate the results of creating a bootstrap file using
bconsole, and my restores run wonderfully
quickly (2-minutes to fast-forward to the right point about half-way through an
LTO-4 tape), compared to not doing
positioning where it was going to take about 4 hours.... :)

Moral of the story?  Use the source, Luke.

Craig

--
Craig Miskell
Senior Systems Administrator