Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] solved PEBCAK: Quantum Scalar i40 and second tape drive

2010-02-15 11:24:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] solved PEBCAK: Quantum Scalar i40 and second tape drive
From: Daniel Kamm <ylz AT ylz DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 17:22:08 +0100
Thank you for all your replies.

Am 2/15/10 11:38 AM, schrieb Alan Brown:
> MTX simply reports what the changer thinks it has - and right now the
> changer doesn't realise there is a second drive installed.
>
> This is a hardware configuration issue. Solve that first, then check
> to see if MTX shows a second drive.

Dear Alan, you are sooooo right. On a multi partition library it is not
enough to just 'put that thing in'. I needed to add the drive to the
(single) partition.

# mtx -f /dev/sg1 status
   Storage Changer /dev/sg1:2 Drives, 29 Slots ( 5 Import/Export )
Data Transfer Element 0:Empty
Data Transfer Element 1:Empty
       Storage Element 1:Empty:VolumeTag=
       Storage Element 2:Empty:VolumeTag=

Problem solved, thank you very much! PEBCAK.

Just for the record, the other replies:

Am 2/12/10 9:51 PM, schrieb Alex Chekholko:
> Check dmesg for relevant messages and do something like
> ls -lah /dev/*st*

Yeah, they do exist:

# ls -lah /dev/st*
crw-rw---- 1 root tape 9,  0 2010-02-12 15:18 /dev/st0
crw-rw---- 1 root tape 9, 96 2010-02-12 15:18 /dev/st0a
crw-rw---- 1 root tape 9, 32 2010-02-12 15:18 /dev/st0l
crw-rw---- 1 root tape 9, 64 2010-02-12 15:18 /dev/st0m
crw-rw---- 1 root tape 9,  1 2010-02-12 15:18 /dev/st1
crw-rw---- 1 root tape 9, 97 2010-02-12 15:18 /dev/st1a
crw-rw---- 1 root tape 9, 33 2010-02-12 15:18 /dev/st1l
crw-rw---- 1 root tape 9, 65 2010-02-12 15:18 /dev/st1m

I should mention, that /dev/sg0 points to the first drive, /dev/st1 to
the changer API, and /dev/sg2 to the second drive.

Am 2/13/10 3:35 PM, schrieb shouldbe q931:
> What is the output from lsscsi ?

# lsscsi
[4:0:0:0]    tape    HP       Ultrium 4-SCSI   U51Z  /dev/st0
[4:0:0:1]    mediumx QUANTUM  Scalar i40-i80   100G  /dev/sch0
[5:0:0:0]    tape    HP       Ultrium 4-SCSI   U51Z  /dev/st1

> Have/can you change the ID number of one of the drives ?
It's SAS not SCSI, I may not change the IDs.

Regards,
  - Dan