Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] backup of another database beyond the catalog

2010-02-15 09:37:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] backup of another database beyond the catalog
From: Radosław Korzeniewski <radoslaw AT korzeniewski DOT net>
To: Marco Zancanaro <marco.zanca AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 13:43:47 +0100
Hi,

You can backup postgresql in three different ways:
1. dumping database or postgresql cluster to file using pg_dump, then backing up those file (semi hot backup)
2. backing up all postgresql cluster data files and postgresql wal files using postgresql pitr feature (hot backup)
3. backing up all postgresql cluster data files when postgresql instance is shut down (cold backup)
Only 2. and 3. backup methods can guarantee data consistency. #1 require additional free space where You can temporary store file dump and doesn't guarantee data consistency.

regards

Radek