Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Full Backup After Previously Successful Full with Ignore FileSet Changes Enabled

2010-02-11 15:54:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Full Backup After Previously Successful Full with Ignore FileSet Changes Enabled
From: Graham Sparks <gmjs AT hotmail.co DOT uk>
To: <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 20:52:26 +0000

> Hello,
>
> I'm a fairly new Bacula user (all daemons running on same machine-Ubuntu804 and a FD on Windows XP Home client). I've set up a Full backup of a drive on the client that ran on Saturday and have an incremental backup of the same fileset done on Monday. Having noticed that the file size was large for the two day's worth of data, I excluded the Windows swap file from the fileset.
>
> Today's incremental however wouldn't run. Bacula insisted on running a new full backup.

What did you do here? Did you let it run, or did you cancel it? I assume you cancelled it... see below.

> I'm aware that this is because I have changed the fileset, but read about an option (Ignore FileSet Changes = yes) that is supposed to ignore that fact and continue to perform incrementals. After adding this and reloading the configuration, Bacula still won't perform an incremental backup.
>
> Is there a reason why it still refuses to run an incremental backup (I deleted the JobID for the failed promoted Full backup with the delete JobIB command)?
>
> Have a try if restarting the director helps.
>
> Reload should be enough, but recently I noticed that 3.0.3 didn't recognize fileset option changes reliably after reload.
>
> --
> TiN

I performed as restart (and a separate start/stop) but it's the same.

I've tested it with a smaller job and it seems to be the case that the IgnoreFileSetChanges option only takes effect if present in the FileSet definition when the original Full backup runs (adding it in afterwards doesn't make a difference).

Many thanks for the reply though!

One thing that still came into my mind: did you cancel the forced-full backup that had started after changing the fileset, when you didn't want it to run as full backup again? If so, the reason probably is that the previous full backup didn't complete succesfully (because it was canceled). Then the behaviour isn't only because of the fileset change anymore, but because of the non-succesful previous full backup, which requires the next one to be forced to be a full one, whether there were fileset changes or not. For more information about this, see the explanation under the "Level" directive of the "Job Resource" in the documentation.

Btw, when asking this kind of questions in the future, pls. tell which version of Bacula you have. I guess you have got it from some Ubuntu repo, and maybe it wasn't the latest released Bacula. Then the Real Gurus (not me) here might immediatedly be able to say "oh yes, that was a bug that was fixed in x.y"

--
TiN

Hello,

Yes, apologies for not specifying the version I'm using (5.0.0).

No worries, it's fixed now.  I edited the FileSetId field in the database for the Full and Incremental backup jobs to the new one (it appears that when you make a change to a fileset, a new record is created in the 'FileSet' table.  It must use this ID to tell whether or not a previous Full backup uses the same fileset).  I reran the job and it performed an incremental.  Yay!

I did delete the cancelled job before looking into the IgnoreFileSetChanges option.

Many thanks for your help.

Graham