Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Request for documentation enhancement: Exclude Directory Containing

2010-02-03 06:24:24
Subject: [Bacula-users] Request for documentation enhancement: Exclude Directory Containing
From: Frank Altpeter <frank.altpeter AT gmail DOT com>
To: Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 2010 12:21:15 +0100
Hi list,

I just stumbled upon a missing documentation information about the new
feature "Exclude Directory Containing". This feature is set in the
FileSet resource to be able to exclude directories on client side by
simply touching a file with a predefined name (for example "Exclude
Directory Containg = .nobackup").
Since the documentation didn't mention anything to worry about, I've
set this feature in my recently updated setup. I'm running a bacula
3.0.3 server and sd with a mixed setup of about 130 fd clients between
versions 2.4.2 and 3.0.3. I remember that the dir and sd must be
updated at once, but the fd is compatible with newer dir versions (as
usual).

The documentation problem now: It's nowhere mentioned that the above
feature only works when the fd is updated as well. My nightly backup
run did finish almost all backup jobs with a fatal error because this
feature makes non-3.x fd clients to bail out:

03-Feb 00:33 backup-dir JobId 33948: Start Backup JobId 33948,
Job=clientname.2010-02-03_00.30.05_18
[...]
03-Feb 00:33 clientname-fd JobId 33948: Fatal error: Invalid FileSet
command: .nobackup
03-Feb 00:33 backup-dir JobId 33948: Fatal error: Socket error on
Include command: ERR=No data available

That's why I would request adding a suitable note to the docs that
other people are aware of this before upgrading a mixed environment
:-)

--
Le deagh dhùraghd,

        Frank Altpeter