Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] File-Storage and automatic labeling andvolumecreation

2010-02-01 18:50:30
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] File-Storage and automatic labeling andvolumecreation
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 2010 01:46:49 +0200
"Thomas Schweikle" <tps AT vr-web DOT de> kirjoitti viestissä
news:hk7eo5$o5q$1 AT ger.gmane DOT org...
>On 01.02.2010 20:14, Timo Neuvonen wrote:
>> "Thomas Schweikle" <tps AT vr-web DOT de> kirjoitti viestissä
>> news:hk76l8$o2e$1 AT ger.gmane DOT org...
>>> Hi!
>>>
>>> I am trying to set up bacula to aoutmaticly creating and labeling a
>>> volume for backup. AFAIK I did everything to make it happen, but it
>>> does not work as expected ...
>
>[...]
>
>> Volumes won't get deleted automatically. If you don't want to recycle
>> existing volumes, you have to delete old ones manually, or make a script
>> do it. Deleting might require both deleting from the catalog (since you
>> have
>> a limit of 'maximum volumes' which would prevent creating new ones) and
>> also
>> deleting the actual files. I think there were some discussion about that
>> kind of script recently (in January?) in this list.
>
>Does this mean volumes aren't created automatic? I do have to create
>them manually?

At first, I didn't notice there was a recycle=yes option in the conf.

The volumes can be (if configured so) created automatically, until the
configured limit for maximum number of volumes is reached. Limiting the
number (and the size) of the volumes as you did is a good idea on file
storage, because otherwise you would run out of disk space sooner or later.
But the automatic creation will stop when the maximum number is reached.

Now you have specified recycle=yes, which means the existing volumes will
then be used again starting from the oldest expired one - so the old ones
will not be deleted but re-used. What this means, is that your volume names
that include (old) timestamps will become very misleading since they'll
contain data that is newer than the volume name could make one think. But no
technical problem there so far.

So, is the problem now that
- not a single volume gets created (there aren't 20 volumes yet)
-- if so, then there is a bug in the conf I didn't notice
or
- no new volume names appear after there already exists 20 volumes?
-- if so, this is propably due to possible misunderstanding I tried to
explain above

btw, maybe you are aware of this, but any changes to pool definition need to
"be taken into use" with update pool command in bconsole.

--
TiN